Where should I begin in getting quotes for a sprinkler system? What should I consider?
Research, research, research! If you want professional service from start to finish, you can’t expect it from the lowest bidder. If you are looking for a great experience, you need to take the time with each bidder to understand the following:
How experienced is the contractor?
- How long has the company been in business?
- How many sprinkler customers does the contractor have?
- How are the contractor’s online reviews?
- The more experience, the better the experience!
Is the sprinkler design well thought out – the designer should be asking questions such as:
- “Do you want to water the entire property”
- “Do you want to water your front yard a different amount of time than the back and/or side”
- “Do you want to water your shrubs the same amount of time as your grass”
- “Do you want a second water meter?”
Reliable scheduling – you should evaluate how important it is for the contractor to begin and finish the project in a timely fashion. Delays are the most common complaint in the contractor business.. Will it take this contractor 1 day to complete or multiple weeks? Some contractors are one man operations and it might take several days to finish, while some contractors run full time installation crews that might be able to finish your job in 1 day.
Professional supervision – you are paying a company a significant amount of money to do a professional job. It is important the chosen contractor employs both a professional project manager and experienced employees.
Responsive service – you need to find a company that stands behind its product and will service your needs in a professional and timely manner.
Contrary to popular belief, things such as the “brand of the parts” or “number of zones” are the least important factor in choosing a contractor. You need to find a professional contractor who will provide you with the best value, not price.