Where should I begin in getting quotes for a sprinkler system? What should I consider?
Research, research, research! If you want professional service from start to finish, you can’t expect it from the lowest bidder. If you are looking for a great experience, you need to take the time with each bidder to understand the following:
How experienced is the contractor
- How long has the company been in business?
- How many sprinkler customers does the contractor have?
- How are the contractor’s online reviews?
- The more experience, the better the experience!
Is the sprinkler design well thought out – the designer should be asking questions such as:
- “Do you want to water the entire property”
- “Do you want to water your front yard a different amount of time than the back and/or side”
- “Do you want to water your shrubs the same amount of time as your grass”
- “Do you want a second water meter?”
Reliable scheduling – you should evaluate how important it is for the contractor to begin and finish the project in a timely fashion. Delays are the most common complaint in the contractor business.. Will it take this contractor 1 day to complete or multiple weeks? Some contractors are one man operations and it might take several days to finish, while some contractors run full time installation crews that might be able to finish your job in 1 day.
Professional supervision – you are paying a company a significant amount of money to do a professional job. It is important the chosen contractor employs both a professional project manager and experienced employees.
Responsive service – you need to find a company that stands behind its product and will service your needs in a professional and timely manner.
Contrary to popular belief, things such as the “brand of the parts” or “number of zones” are the least important factor in choosing a contractor. You need to find a professional contractor who will provide you with the best value, not price.
A STEP-BY-STEP PROCESS FROM ESTIMATE TO INSTALLATION
Getting a sprinkler system can be a big decision. Our goal at Sprinklers Plus is to make that process go as smoothly as possible with minimal surprises. Here is our step-by-step process from sprinkler estimate to final walk through.
Step 1: Setting up a time to get an estimate. This part is easy, just call us at 812-858-1325 or email email@example.com. We recommend reserving at least an hour for your sprinkler estimate.
Step 2: The day of your design and estimate.
- Plumbing: We begin every estimate with identifying where will be receiving our main water source. Unfortunately, it is not as simple as connecting to your existing hose bibs. Lawn Sprinkler systems need lots of water so we need to connect to a main water line. Typically we connect at your second water meter or if you have a lake we might put a pump in the lake to supply your irrigation system.
- Property Lines: Next we will need for you to determine your property lines.
- Presentation and Pricing: After we measure your property we will provide you with information about the products we use. We will go over how much the irrigation system will cost and provide you with upgrade options.
Step 3: Signing up: When you want to move forward with getting your lawn sprinkler system, we need you to do the following:
- Double check your name, address and phone numbers to ensure we have the correct information
- Review and indicate if you want any additional options
- Sign at the bottom of contract and mail with a deposit to our office at 3288 Tower Dr. Newburgh, IN 47630.
Step 4: Scheduling: We base our installs on first come first serve basis. When your signed contract and deposit are received you will be placed on our list. When it gets close to your place in line we will notify you as well as call in utility locates with Indiana 811.
Step 5: Installation Day: The morning of your installation, your sales representative or supervisor will place flags where every rotor and spray heads will be installed. The crew will hand dig around all marked utility lines where we cross them. Please notify the crew leader of the location of any private underground obstacles (ex: dog fence, drainage, electrical conduit, etc.). We will also need to know exactly where your controller will be installed. When installing the system we use a vibratory plow. This is a blade that goes into the ground and drags the pipe under it, so we will not be trenching your yard. The crew will then hand dig and connect all piping and heads to the system. After all of the plumbing and wiring work is completed they will put water to the system and adjust all sprinkler heads and make sure the system is operating correctly.
Step 6: Walk Through of System: After your sprinkler installation has been completed, we will review the entire system with you. You will be shown the following:
- Control Box: we will show you how to set the date and time, watering times and recommended watering schedules
- Emergency shut off valve: this will turn all water to your system
- Adjusting spray and rotor heads: you can adjust distance and rotation for your heads
- Review of valve boxes etc
Step 7: Collecting payment In order to pay our employees and vendors in a timely fashion, we need to collect a check when we finish your walk through. After 14 days past your installation day, we reserve the right to charge a late fee.